Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Writing good ad copy:

Leverage what’s already

in the reader's head


A former client is advertising a nutritional supplement for horses. That's a tough sell in a crowded field. In a an effort to come up with a unique selling proposition, they are running an ad with this weak headline: Is "Equine A.D.D." to Blame? That's it. No subhead with a clue or promise. Just an unclear question that must be explained.

Now, I know they expect busy readers to stop and ask themselves, “To blame for what?”and then go on to read the explanation. That’s not going to happen very often, if at all.

The copy is as weak as the headline. After making a tenuous link between a horse’s behavior and human Attention Deficit Disorder, the copy asks the question again, “Can horses suffer from A.D.D. as well?”

The copy then tells the reader to visit their Web site “To learn more about this possibility” and the role of their supplement in its prevention.

The ad is vague and lacks a strong selling proposition. It reminds the reader (if anyone reads it) several times that A.D.D. may be a possibility?

Expecting an ad like this to work is the height of hubris, and a waste of money. If you have a solution for a problem that’s already in my head...…a problem I understand... tell me about it. Don’t try to be clever. It only confuses me.

Tip for the Little Guy

If your product requires a lot of explanation, offer a “White Paper” a booklet or a packet of information. That way you’ll have the room you need to tell your story. And promote your Web site. Make certain your landing page is packed with helpful information and go light on the hard sell. You’ll communicate better and you’ll sell more product.

1 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Jay Divanji said...

I chanced upon your profile on blogspot since I too have an interest in copywriting. Well, the thing is I am an aspiring copywriter. No, I don't have any experience yet. But I do think I have gobs of creativity. I'd be thankful for your opinion if you could have a glance at my blog on play of words. What I want you to tell me is whether the creativity can be extrapolated to the field of copywriting.


The link to my blog is :


www.jayzwordplay.blogspot.com



Eager to hear your opinion,

Jay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home